Join First Person
At First Person, we are always on the lookout for great talent!
Based in San Francisco, First Person® is a design and storytelling company for B2B enterprise.
As one of San Francisco's leading design and storytelling agencies in both direct and digital design, First Person offers an established market presence, a diverse client portfolio and supportive, open team culture with room for advancement, competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package.
There is no B Team at 1P. We are a small company of highly skilled experts who have built lasting relationships with the leadership at some of the worlds most successful organizations and we are looking for someone exceptional to join us, who loves design and enjoys working with other incredibly talented people.
We are looking for an Art Director of 3D Motion Design
The Art Director provides the visual creative voice of the project and is entrusted with crafting the aesthetic and maintaining that look from concept through to completion. The AD is responsible for generating mood boards, style frames, storyboards, color studies, type studies, layouts, renderings, prototypes, and any other tasks related to bringing the story to life.
Additionally, the Art Director lends their leadership and expertise to developing and guiding the plan (in collaboration with the Project Management team) to choose the right internal and external resources necessary for optimal art creation and completion.
Candidates should be hands-on with the ability to visually and verbally lead projects from concept to completion. An online portfolio that shows a mastery of the principles and practice of motion graphic design with an emphasis on 2D & 3D animation, motion graphics, physics, typography, editing, transitions and the use of current digital tools and renderers.
If you know the difference between branding and identity, love advertising, motion graphics, typography, and technology, you might just be the person we’re looking for.
- Works directly with Project Managers and the Creative Team to deliver each project at an industry leading quality.
- Responsible for designing and directing projects and accounts.
- Comfortable sharing and presenting ideas with both our team and clients.
- Approach every job, especially the challenging ones, with a positive, “How do we make this happen attitude?"
- Outstanding design skills with the ability to make recommendations, and if necessary redirect in the moments where initial concepts are unsuccessful.
- Attend any relevant meetings, working collaboratively amongst the production team
- Embrace principles of Human Centered Design & Design Thinking.
- Creative problems are solved to overcome moments of time or budget limitations.
- Willingness to learn and embrace new tools and workflows
- 7+ years of experience.
- Strong portfolio displaying a variety of project types (i.e. live action, VFX, design, animation, web development and user experience)
- Preferred prior experience as an Art Director in an agency and or post environment. Exceptions can be made for those with an exceptional portfolio
- Expert knowledge of Adobe After Effects and Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong experience working in 3D. Cinema 4D preferred. Exceptions can be made for Houdini, Maya, or Blender for those with an exceptional portfolio
- Highly skilled at multitasking, sometimes working across multiple projects at once
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills
- Organized / systems thinker
- Excel in a team environment, setting an optimistic tone and build / maintain positive relationships through strong collaboration efforts
- Experience using AI / Machine Learning tools to streamline manual tasks
- Experience with Unreal Engine, Unity, or Blender
- Experience with Figma or similar tools such as Adobe XD
- Experience with content and visual definitions for digital experiences.
- Experience in design and production path for web and digital
- Experience in presentation design
We are looking for a Creative Director
Based in San Francisco, First Person® is a design and storytelling company.
Our ethos is Inspired Stories, Intelligently Told.
So… Who are we? Part creative agency, part consultancy, We’re First Person, A San Francisco Design and Storytelling Company. We combine brilliant ideas with business insight to develop stories that leverage design and technology to deliver lasting value.
Our story… starts with our name. First Person is about perspective(s): ours, yours and theirs.
We chose this name because it’s human, it’s about empathy and seeing the world through the eyes of the audience. Understanding the view through that lens - is how we create stories that move people and drive change.
Intimately connected to Silicon Valley, we have spent the last 20 years working with leaders and brands that are bold enough to define their future through storytelling.
We empathize with the unique perspectives and experiences of others.
We vigorously seek understanding through inquiry, immersion, and experimentation.
We have the experience to confidently persevere in the face of the unknown.
Overview of Role:
The Creative Director breathes life into a project. They are curious, witty, and resourceful. They fearlessly enter the unknown to share ideas they believe in, that will shape our beliefs and shift our perspective. Entrusted with translating vision, business strategy, client desires and creativity, into magical stories and experiences, the CD is linchpin for creativity at First Person.
As a member of the creative team and the account team the CD oversees the creative approach and delivery on accounts and individual projects. They are responsible for generating concepts and ideas that help to translate and transform complexity into simplicity. The CD plans and oversees the creative process, collaborates and delegates responsibility to other members of the team including other CD’s, designers, animators, and editors. The CD guides and approves work created by their team in service of the account, working closely with the AD, PM, and client to keep the project on track.
Creative Directors elevate brands through a demonstrable mastery of storytelling, writing, cultural and design to improve the quality of the work; pushing the boundaries for what is possible. This is balanced with maintaining the practical aspects governed by the scope of work, the creative direction and the guiding principles of a client's brand.
The Creative Director has the Following Key Responsibilities
- Function as an internal expert consultant with advanced knowledge of the qualities and traits of the brands and projects associated with your accounts
- Be present and participate in weekly, daily and relevant planning meetings.
- Work collaboratively to promote effective communication throughout the team using First Person’s Best Practices and Tools
- Approach every project with a “How do we make this happen?" positive solutions oriented mind set.
- Work closely with the Executive Creative Director, Directors of Narrative Strategy, Creative Directors, Art Directors, to find the best possible creative and technical approach for a given project.
- Work closely with the Account Managers and Project Managers to ensure necessary roles to deliver the agreed upon creative are understood and the right talent is located and assigned.
- Work with the account teams to formulate estimates, budgets and timelines for projects that include animation and VFX
Team Leadership Responsibilities:
- Rise above the noise to guide the team on projects.
- Do your part to ensure projects are executed to the highest possible quality, delivered on time and effort of individual artists and stay within the agreed upon budget.
- Communicate often and early any issues, redflags or concerns that might arise in the development of a project.
- Keep up on current cultural trends
- Challenge the team to embrace new industry trends, emerging technology, and best practices.
- Teach and share new techniques and recommended training for the team.
- Assist in finding and vetting new talent and partnerships.
- Manage and maintain your google calendar as a reflection of commitments made in sprint planning.
- Take and share notes in meetings related to your responsibilities as a creative leader.
- Be able to formally manage and mentor team members after 3 months of employment.
Hands On Responsibilities: Demonstrating Leadership
- Mastery of storytelling and creative writing skills, including short format script writing for advertising campaigns, videos and presentations.
- Represent First Person by presenting work directly to clients and the company in the service of helping to present concepts, approaches, clarify ideas, validate techniques and show progress.
- Run Dailies and team reviews with the Art Director & Project Manager.
- Share creative ideas and pitches using mood boards, style frames, storyboards, concepts & copy.
- Work with AD to develop visual treatments and ideas.
- Ensure creative teams meet deadlines and complete milestones within budget.
- Provide quality control over concepts and projects.
- Review all creative and approve it before it is shared with clients.
- Approve or reject ideas and creative executions & send all notes in writing.
- Respond to feedback in a timely manner.
- Revise, edit, and proofread content as needed or directed by client.
- When required, provide oversight on storyboards, framing, shotlists and shot cadence.
- When required provide oversight and be available to travel for pre production, live action production and post production.
- Guide, supervise and review the work produced when related to animation
- Facilitate and build consensus between team members to support clarity in our approach and progress being made
- 10 years of agency experience leading teams
- Prior experience as a creative director, copywriter, and or art director in an advertising agency, branding agency or post environment
- Experience working on a wide variety of projects, i.e. live action, animation, editorial, digital, animation, web, environmental, etc.
- Highly skilled at multitasking, usually working across multiple projects at once
- Embrace principles of Human Centered Design & Design Thinking
- Open minded, collaborative and divergent
- Excellent pitch and presentation skills
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills
- Be able to keep calm while leading and motivate teams through sometimes changing and high-pressured times
- Excel in a team environment, setting an optimistic tone and building / maintaining positive relationships through strong collaboration efforts.
There is no B Team at 1P. We are a small company of highly skilled experts who have built lasting relationships with the leadership at some of the worlds most successful organizations and we are looking for someone exceptional to join us, who loves design, storytelling and enjoys working with other incredibly talented people.
First Person offers an established market presence, a diverse client portfolio and supportive, open team culture with room for advancement, competitive salary and generous benefits packages.Are you interested?